I took this image especially for the challenge this week on Cees fun Photo challenge – a sense of taste
As I was having fun slicing and placing such colourful food, I decided it would be nice to set the dish among my herbs in the garden to add to the sense of taste theme …. imagine my surprise when a beautiful little Lady Bug decided to taste as well !!!
An invitation to walk in your neighbourhood and tell us what you see that inspires you , brings you joy or even makes you sad . Every day I make sure to observe something that gives me joy , and to be honest, living in Queensland on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland, Australia, it really is not hard to be inspired. I am forever grateful for the fact that I can breathe clean air, listen to a huge variety of beautiful birds sing and feel the green grass under my feet somewhere close by . I may see beauty in the colours and textures of a native plant such as this beautiful Banksia
And right outside my front garden was this noisy little Brown honey eater enjoying the nectar while the dew is still on it first thing in the morning. Isn’t he sweet?
As I was trying to catch Mr Brown, I had that feeling that I was being watched… and lo and behold there was this crazy fella just staring at me from about waist height in the bush next to me….. he is a Spangled Drongo, that is more familiar with the northern ends of our country and hails from the New Guinea area, but with our mild climate many of them decide to settle and call the Sunshine coast home. I am glad to have them and all their silly craziness…such agile fliers and hilarious loud cacklings…. they look amazing in flight with the fish tails and their acrobatics.
I am often amazed at how beauty struggles through to even the most industrial kind of surroundings ….
I would love to see some of your local areas as you walk about each day…. feel free to post and tag this page so that I can see what a day in the life is like at your place.
Lets start with things that put a smile on your face and then we can progress to other challenges .
Being Australian … lets call this the Backyard challenge
In response to Anwyn’s Photo spotlights …. at A Wandering Woman ….
I would love to share a few cute signs I have seen…well at least one at this stage anyway. Australia has the most comical signs at times with our weird wildlife ….
I thought this one was very cute
And this one had me stumped!!! I mean…what on earth does it mean???
I often , when I come across stuff like this , think…. what were they thinking? Am I missing something? were they thinking at all or is this just a joke??
I will search for more images to add to this, but I fear that the best of my sightings are lost in boxes of real prints!!!
I have made a start at least… that is something ..blogging an evolving process I am learning
In response to the challenge Camera Lucida : The Colour Of Life
What colours my life? There are so many beautiful things that make the heart sing, and behind much of it is the sun , and the glorious light that it shines on everything around us to create a variety of captivating colours and hues. Instead of just one photo I will choose three things I have seen that absolutely colour my world
In response to The Daily Post’s weekly photo challenge: “Monochromatic.”
This week, share with us your monochromatic images. Be calculating and creative in choosing your subject and focal point; resist the urge to simply take a photo of something with a single color range.
I found this a rather confusing challenge as I am a somewhat literally minded person, so the idea of an image being called monochromatic but then not being restricted to just one colour range just didn’t make any sense to me. With this in mind I looked at a few images I have done recently where I explored the monochromatic theme and this was my favourite… monochromatic birds on a very dull pallet were accentuated by removing all but the hint of colour that the birds themselves feature .
In response to The Daily Post’s writing prompt: “Forever Young.”
Forever young … If there were a real Fountain of Youth, would you drink the water?
When I was much younger I would probably have said …yes of course…lead me to the well and I have a huge glass with me ….
As I look back on my youthful photos I see a lovely young woman who was blessed with nice eyes, and a fairly attractive face along with a tall build and a brain that I would like to access now and then . Had I been asked this question then, when I was full of the naivete of life and always hungry for something in the greener paddock next door , I would have been the first to say “fill my cup let’s drink and be merry” !!
… but then came the years, and the challenges and along the way … the wisdom . ( at least I hope that at my age of late 50s I have had the good sense to acquire some!)
When I was thirty, after a brush with breast cancer … well maybe I would have been knocking everyone else out of the way to achieve this miracle longevity!
Or would I? After all, drinking from the fountain of youth means you can look young forever …. doesn’t it? Nobody said I would be healthy… just that I would stay looking young and being the silly naive 30 year old that I was??? Perish the thought !!!
Along with my dry skin wrinkles and grey hairs has come a wealth of wisdom that tells me that beauty is indeed skin deep
and if not accompanied by a beautiful heart then it is nothing. Add to that …. would staying young mean that I would forever be young but worried about my breast cancer?
Would I be forever young and go on to have a child that would grow older than her mother???
Would I have to like the next generation’s music because eventually I would be their age?
I could even be stuck on the treadmill of rushing from one destination to another, thinking it is all so important that I miss seeing the flowers bloom .
Maybe I would grow tired of seeing the days come and go and the sun and moon rise … since what makes experiencing these things so special is the changing perspectives from which we view them as we age.
Surely too, this would mean that I have not accepted the human condition and journey on this earth … that I see no value in our beloved elderly , with their wizened faces that have a wisdom in every fold?
But seriously, looking at my concerns in life now when I observe the world around me, meaning the planet and not just my tiny corner of the world, is would this water from the fountain be potable even? And for how many years would it remain so? Surely if it was in the US or Australia….. it would not be trustworthy as the water tables are in danger of being so polluted by giant mining interests and Coal Seam Gas Fracking that my most serious concern would be …… has that well feeding the fountain of Youth …. been poisoned ?
I urge you to consider the benefits of ageing gracefully, of letting your accumulated wisdom from those years shine out, showing the inner beauty that can only come from living life and learning all of its valuable lessons. AS the old saying goes….. life is not a dress rehearsal … and the fountain of youth is almost certainly fraught with hidden dangers
In response to CAMERA LUCIDA – divergent
I must say I found it extremely difficult to get my head around an image that was relevant to this theme, and certainly to take a photo to demonstrate it. As I was out the other day I was watching a houseboat full of pelicans sitting on top like a party boat …. when coming in to land this one seemed to have wings and legs going in all divergent directions !!!
For my nomination I must say a big thank you to Tracey Rains from http://spontaneouswhimsy.wordpress.com/
and now I have to answer her questions as follows:
If you could be any animal, what would it be?
If I could be any animal, it would be a bird….. one of the Apex predators in the bird world like our Wedge Tailed Eagle here in Australia or a Condor in the Andes …. soaring on the thermals high above the world.
- What is your earliest memory? My earliest memory is from when I was nearly three years old, standing up on my parents big bed with a brand new dress that was being made for me…. having the hem measure
- What accomplishment are you most pleased about? My biggest accomplishments have been surviving this life so far in the face of recurring challenges including cancer and major depression
- Do you prefer nighttime or daytime and why?
I usually prefer the daytime when the sun is out and the light is shining on me
- What season do you prefer and why?
I love the Springtime the best of all when all the growth is starting to pop out in the form of tiny green buds and the dew is still heavy on the ground….. new life is wonderful and the colours are awesome
- What modern convenience could you simply not do without? An air-conditioner for our hot and humid summers
- What is your favorite holiday? My ideal holiday is to be somewhere close to nature, in the Mountains or forests where the wildlife runs free and there is lots to capture in photos
- If you could meet any historical figure who would it be?
If I went right back in history I would have loved to meet Queen Elizabeth 1 ( providing I could keep my head on 😀 )
- Who is your secret celebrity crush? I don’t really have one but I guess if I had to pick one I have always loved Liam Neeson
- What talent do you wish you had? I wish I could fly
- Finally, stealing from my own nominator…What do you hope to accomplish with your blog? I really want to find a comfortable space where I can discuss the things that are important to me and I can maybe have some small influence on making the world round me a more harmonious and compassionate place …. I hope it will give me more of a purpose
- Once you are nominated, make a post thanking and linking the person who nominated you.
- Include the Liebster Award sticker in the post too.
- Nominate 5 -10 other bloggers who you feel are worthy of this award. Let them know they have been nominated by commenting on one of their posts. You can also nominate the person who nominated you.
- Ensure all of these bloggers have less than 200 followers.
- Answer the eleven questions asked to you by the person who nominated you, and make eleven questions of your own for your nominees or you may use the same questions.
- Lastly, COPY these rules in the post.
My Nominees are: ( this is going to be difficult as I don’t yet have many people that I know who may qualify and who have not yet been nominated)
Sorry I haven’t managed 5 nominees but I just do not know enough people yet 😦
Here are my questions to you:
1. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning 2. If you could have any pet what would it be? 3. What is your favourite season? 4. What happened on the happiest day you can remember? 5. What do you do to relax? 6. If you could meet anyone who would it be? 7. If you won the lottery what is the first thing you would do with the money? 8. What other hobbies besides blogging do you enjoy? 9. What do you like most about blogging? 10.What do you hope to get out of your Blogging? 11.Reading or movies.... which do you prefer and why?
Phew….. this has been a mammoth effort to get this post together so I hope you will all accept the award and we can continue to communicate in such a fun way !!!!
This post is in response to CAMERA LUCIDA photo challenge . This week’s challenge: Out of Place
On my morning walks I am always amazed at what I find, especially this darling little self sown tree which is thriving in a stone culvert next to a main road.